wow in linux/wine

For the last few months, I’ve been playing World of Warcraft in linux (because linux’s tcp/ip implementation plays better with a high latency connection than windows’ does), via Wine (a compatibility layer to make some windows programs work in linux). The most recent patch to WoW has revealed a race condition in one of Wine’s libraries, causing random lockups. This has cause no end of consternation.

So I finally stopped putting up with it (ie, being lazy) and googled for the problem. That’s when I found out it was a race condition, actually. As there is no fix available yet, I also found the following workaround:

schedtool -a 0x2 -e wine WoW.exe -opengl

By calling schedtool, it forces wine (and therefore WoW) to execute on only one core, thus avoiding the race condition. (at least, that’s my understanding, without having spent much time understanding it) Hopefully this will be useful to someone else out there. (:

Leave a Comment

NOTE - You can use these HTML tags and attributes:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>